Monday 6 May 2013

Day 7 Edinburgh to Newcastle

Day 7 - 151 Miles



I will be making my way to Newcastle today so I decide to route via beautiful little Dunbar, following part of my Around the Coast route to get to Berwick on Tweed.



From Berwick the route goes south via Alnwick and then onto the centre of Newcastle.

Today would be the day that I get the chance to drive part of last years Coastal Route, albeit in the opposite direction. 

This would be the part going through Mussleburgh , Prestonpans and Dunbar to Berwick on Tweed, only missing out North Berwick.


My Craig House, Premier Inn Stopover, Home for the Night.





Covered for the night 



I set off for Prestonpans where I had spotted 'The Mural Trail' last time.


A Monument to Coal Mining long gone now.


Entering the Prestonpans. 



A quick shot across the Firth of Forth


Mural Number 2 - I just missed another one on the opposite side of the road.


The Power Station


This mural is on the Power Station Wall.




Holiday Homes with a Sea View.


Travelling along the A198 in the opposite direction to my last journey I may see other sights not spotted before?


After turning Inland towards Dunbar I spotted this ruined castle.


and then this monument. 

Sadly, I have no idea what it represents?


One of my 'Over the Shoulder' shots.


A much closer view of the Monument.


Two seconds before the lights changed, this road sweeper was creating a life threatening cloud of Road Dust which I would have had to drive through without breathing.


The road involved lots of long straights with little traffic. Lovely!









Along the A199, I can now see Dunbar in the distance. 

It is on roads like these that the Roadster is at its best with the sort of Armchair Driving more associated with driving my  S type Jag. 


On Station Road, East Linton, crossing The River Tyne bridge.


Another of my 'That's where I have just been ' shots.




Going through West Barns on the A1087


Entering the Town of Dunbar. 

One wonders why this young women is not wearing her shoes?


 On High Street, Dunbar.





The colourful Dunbar Harbour & Castle. 

This is almost exactly the same spot where I parked  last year on the Coastal Road Trip.




The Dunbar Lifeboat Men & Dogs. 

Gathering ready to go out on a Practice Run. 

I Popped a donation in their Collecting Spiral Tub before I left.


The Swimming & Wave Pool with viewpoint Cafeteria which looks out over the Sea and Harbour. Handy for a coffee and toilet stop 


Heading South to Berwick on Tweed through Dunbar High Street.




Looking for buildings that may have been there when the 1900's Trial passed by (this one has a new roof)



Going through Broxburn on the A1087 I can see the tower of the Tarmac Cement Works ahead.


Back on the A1, The Torness Nuclear Power Station, on the coast near Dunbar, also comes into view.


A heavy sky ahead.


I am about to cross the Border going South into England this time.


Leaving Scotland just north of Berwick on Tweed.

Ah. A 'Frog Eyed Sprite' passing in the opposite direction.


Going into Berwick on Tweed, through that Archway ahead.


I did a few circuits of Berwick trying to locate the road to the Old Stone Bridge where that 1900 Cars would have gone to cross the River Tweed.


I had the same problem when I came through here last year but I cannot remember the route.




 Cruising around Berwick trying to find the route over the Old Bridge


Whoops! another dead end!


I will try this one next.


At Last. I am crossing the Old Single Carriageway Bridge. 

Having had the problem of finding it last year, I doubled back to get the same experience again.




After Berwick, ever seeking the old road,  I leave the A1 onto the B6525 to head for Wooler.


A nice group of Scottish Lillys (Daffodils) lining the roadside.




Taking another interesting Across Country Route I am entering Ancroft.




Not long after leaving Berwick the old road took me inland towards Wooler rather than staying on the A1. 

This proved to be a lovely route. 


A Threatening Sky, but fortunately no rain.






A View across to the Northumbrian Hills




Approaching Doddington Village








Into Wooler - This proved to be a very short 'In & Out visit to this pretty town.




A Pretty Rock Garden


Leaving Wooler for Alnwick




 The route from Wooler to Alnwick took me over high hills using single track roads over moorland. 


I arrived safely at the Sainsbury's and was able to park right outside of the entrance, so out came the Flags


Soon, I was joined by by two more Mogs from Newcastle's outlying areas.






Rumor has it that Low Prices at Sainsbury's caused a Morgan Rush & Traffic Jam at the store.




Me and My Very Welcome Visitors from 'Norsemog Centre', Dennis, Robin, Brian and Secretary John (Preparing for their own 'Mog on the Tyne' event at Corbridge from 17th - 19th May ).  



As they left John was 'piloting' young Robin, in John's new Morgan +4


Denis was driving his wife's 'Supercar' as his own Morgan undergoes some essential repairs. 


 Before leaving Alnwick, I did some touring around the town to find the famous Castle.




Alnwick High Street


Who took the wrong route again - another 'U' Turn needed.


Back down the same hill again.


Eventually, I arrive back in town!


Ah! At Last. I can see the Castle at the end of this road.


I think that I will park over there on Bailiffgate on the cobbles and eat my packed lunch.


The Castle Gate with Visitors Entrance just to the Right Side of it.

For those of you who may not know it, much of the Harry Potter Movies were filmed here in the castle grounds. 

They also have also built a fabulous Tree House Walk recently.


The road back to Alnwick High Street




Mog at the Castle gate 


An unusual photo of myself taken by a passing visitor.


The Drinking Fountain and Knight in Armour on the junction between Narrowgate & Pottergate.


The High Street after retail closing time.


 I had to hold back to let the Police Van get ahead so that I could take this photo of the Gateway.


The War Memorial on Bondgate Without.

On leaving Alnwick, I decided to use the country route towards the coast road the alternative A1 is a long boring road. 




I remember crossing this bridge over the River Aln. at Lesbury, ahead when I was with John and Dennis during my Coastal trip last year.


One of my Over the Head shots of the Bridge.


On the A1068 approaching Warkworth.


Going through Warkworth towards the castle.




You can just see the castle ahead, as I approach the bend in the road.



Next I pass the Port of Amble in the distance, once used for Shipping Coal from the Northumberland Coal Mines.






The Ashington Alcan Factory Chimneys in the distance.


I finally made it to Newcastle approaching along the north side of the River Tyne . 










My destination was at the Riverside so that I could photograph the Bridges. 

I can just see the Gateshead Sage Theatre, over the rooftops.


At the bottom of the hill I took a sharp right onto the riverside and parked up where a market had been located earlier.


This gave me the opportunity to pose in front of the Lift Up Foot Bridge and the Baltic Flour Mill, now a Gallery and Museum. 


 A Group of 'Likely Lads' on a 'Newcastle Night Out' who asked me if they could have a photo taken (for use in my Blog). 




 The last of the 'Market Stall' ladies, came over to offer help with the lads if I needed it, which I did not, so offered to take this photo while she was chatting to me.


The view to the Gateshead Millennium Swinging Footbridge across the River Tyne to the Gatehead 'Baltic Mill' Art Gallery.


The Sage could make for an interesting Garage Design. - Fits You Sir!


There was a steady flow of people on Hen Nights and Stag Nights - This one could be said to be going a little too far.




I was booked to stay in a Hotel on the Gateshead side, out in the country, which required me to drive along the Quayside.

I would then cross over the famous Swing Bridge after passing under the famous Tyne Bridge above, replicated in Sydney Australia.

http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/tynebri.html


Joining the B1600 opposite the Coffee Shop at 81 Quayside.

Driving under The Tyne Bridge.


In the foreground you can see the Swing Bridge, with The High Level Bridge in the distance with Trains on top and cars underneath on the lower part. 

In the background out of sight is the new Road Bridge.


Swinging around the Guildhall building to turn left ont the swing bridge.


The view through the 'Watergate' passage.


Crossing the Tyne on the Swing Bridge from Newcastle into Gatehead




I stopped in a side road to take this view of the Tyne Road Bridge.




 I arrived at the hotel where I find this giant Chinese Warrior in the Car Park. 

The hotel included a farm with a Variety of Animals and an Equestrian Centre.




The Donkey created a mayhem of  'He Haw' baying as I took his photo.




After spotting the gash on this horses neck, in my photo,  I sent the Hotel a message and copy Photo. 

He is fine apparently with the wound being treated but has to heal without stitches?












The South Causey Inn, Hotel from the garden.


The Hotel entrance.








The Mog is tucked up for the night and I am ready for a nice meal and a good nights sleep..

In 4 Hours ,the good people of Alnwick, my only collecting point on this Sunday, donated a fantastic £219.22p

No comments:

Post a Comment