Sunday 5 May 2013

Day 6. Carlisle to Edinburgh



Day 6 - 114 Miles


Today's route to Edinburgh Meadowbank is via Gretna, Moffat and Peebles  


From a session at Sainsbury's, Peebles, a tour through the City of Edinburgh to fundraise at Sainsbury's Meadowbank store and then onto my accommodation on the outskirts.



Today's journey will take me from Carlisle to Peebles via Gretna Green, Lockerbie, and Moffat. 

Once there I will be fundraising for three hours before driving into Central Edinburgh where I hope to be able to drive Princes Street and get up close to the Castle for a Photo.  

Then I have to drive to another store in Meadowbank to the east of Arthur's Seat.




Leaving the Vallum Hotel.

The journey to Moffat would prove quite strange. 

The road was probably re laid when the M74 Motorway was built, losing the old road that the 1900's drivers would have used.



It is almost straight all the way for miles and miles running parallel to the motorway and only broken by the villages of Gretna and Lockerbie. It switches from one side of the motorway to the other half way along.



The road was almost empty and I could see the traffic on the motorway finding that I was often going faster than the 'Slow Lane'.


To get me onto the road north I first had to take some devious route through the village of Rockcliffe.




Passing the Village Signpost.






Crossing the River Esk.

Now we are on the empty road running alongside the Motorway.




According to the sign, across the road is 'The First House in Scotland'.


Going through Gretna Green I came to the Famous Blacksmiths Forge where Eloping English Couples would go to get Married without restrictions.


The Blacksmiths Forge opposite.




At Ecclefechan, I realised that the old road was still there going through the town. 

I had bypassed this so I did a U turn and drove through in the opposite direction before turning back to go northward again.


Here I am missing my turning off of the B7076 onto the old road, the High Street which goes through the town.


Hoddom Parish Church which is on the B7076.


I have now turned into Ecclefechan and am driving south again along the old 1900 High Street. 


Going North again you can see how straight the road was as I headed for Locherbie.


As I drove through Lockerbie I could not pass without thinking of the Pan Am 747 Flight 103 bombing in 1988 where so many of the passengers fell onto the towns streets killing some of the local people at the same time.
It must have been an awful experience.




The road now runs to the east side of the M74


Then it switches back to the west side as we head for Beattock and Moffat.












Entering Moffat.


Passing the Moffat Town signpost.


Driving into Moffat's main street. 

A lovely town with a high number of Tourists around the town.

 I was so taken with looking at the town that I missed my turning indicated on the signpost ahead.


Instead, I took the A701 road from Moffat to Peebles which  is another of those most supberb driving roads. 

It twists and turns as it climbs high over the barren hills with their snow pockets. 

This next sequence of photos shows how it looks through a camera lens. 



Sadly, I regret that I missed the 4th Hill climb at Birkhill as it is located on the A708 which gets to Peebles via Selkirk. 

I had taken the wrong road out of Moffatt and never realised that I was on the wrong road at any time that day.

Both routes go through this beautiful countryside and both eventually arrive at Peebles.



This road twists and turns as it follows the valley of the River Tweed.






These road works ahead were going to give a big surprise to the long line of  ZX4's who passed me going in the other direction.

They were all driving like 'Bats out of Hell' towards it.










Finally we arrive at the top of the climb and begin the decent into Peebles 
















Into the settlement of Tweedsmuir.


As I approached this Hotel and before I could take this photo, I had passed a banner stating 'Help Save the Crook lnn '.

 There were a group of people painting and gardening to bring it back to a formal glory. 

It has been purchased by the local Tweeddale Community.















Here at Rachan, I need to take a right turn here onto the B712 to get to Peebles.




Crossing the River Tweed who's Spring we had passed somewhere back up the road, in the hills.






As we approach Peebles the roadside verges are a blaze of yellow daffodils. 


Driving into Peebles now on the A72.


Into The Old Town.


Crossing the River Tweed again towards the Old Parish Church of Peebles.


Driving through the centre of Peebles heading for the Sainsbury's store there.


Charities Co-ordinator Isobel Mitchell with Mog.





The best shots come when no one is watching.







Leaving Peebles for Edinburgh, there were more Yellow Daffodils on one verge and White Narcissus on the opposite one. 


Approaching Edinburgh 


As I entered the City, I became aware that there where horrendous road works everywhere. Edinburgh is getting a Tramway. 

To install the tracks requires that road closures would prevent vehicles getting along the traditional routes, as I tried to get to the Castle.

I spent an interesting hour or more trying to outwit the restrictions providing the opportunity for the next sequence of photos of famous buildings. 






Crossing the North Bridge of Waverley Station looking towards the dome of Her Majesty s Register House and the Clock Tower on the Balmoral Hotel.


The view along Princes Street towards Carlton Hill and The Monument of Scotland.


The Dome of The Bank of Scotland Foundation building.


The Melville Monument in St Andrew Square



Climbing Hanover Street to George Street with the George IV Statue and the flags of The Royal Scottish Academy , The National Gallery and the spire of the church on Johnstone Street in the background.


Travelling one way along George Street with Dr. Thomas Chalmers Statue again.


Charlotte Square Gardens with the Albert Memorial in the centre and domed West Register House in the background.


The nearest I was able to get to the famous Edinburgh Castle.



The Tram Tracks road works, and my lack of local knowledge, prevented me from getting to the road bridge that crosses the Waverley Railway Station to the Castle. 

I was hoping to find the Market Hall where, in 1900, the participants in the Thousand Mile Trial held an exhibition.

The then Lord Montague can be seen sitting on the rail around the dias. 

Some of the cars may just be seen at the back of the Hall.










The Scott Monument dwarfing the red bus.




Following my Grande Tour of the city, I am back on Princes Street looking towards the Nelson Monument and the Balmoral Hotel.
I am heading out of town to my next Sainsbury's store for so more fund raising.


The Balmoral Cloch Tower.




Another view of The Register House.


Nelsons Monument on Carlton Hill.


Arthur's Seat in the background. My next stop would be behind the hill.


New Parliament House


The Burn's Monument


Eventually I arrived at my Fund Raising location at Sainsbury's Meadowbank. 

I had to book for an Evening Slot here from 5pm to 7.30pm.

I did my stint and then made my way out of the city to my overnight stopping place.





On the way I pass behind the Stand of the Old Meadowbank Sports Centre built for the 1970 Commonwealth Games.
( and was demolished in January 2019 for rebuilding. )
Fund Raising today was:

Sainsbury's Peebles            -  £138.27

Sainsbury's Meadowbank   - £  91.98

No comments:

Post a Comment